Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Quotation marks "run" amok!

When did quotation marks go from the purpose of quoting to that of emphasis or sarcasm.

Some examples

El Caballo "Negro" : name of South Lake Tahoe Inn. Means The "black" horse en espaƱol. There is a picture of a black horse outside the front door of the inn.

We will be closed on "New Year" day: Chinese restaurant, downtown Sunnyvale

Please turn "off" the lights: Rest room in Ker Inc, San Diego

You do the driving, we'll handle the "rest": Days Inn ad

There are thousands of such examples. Send me some and I'll post them all.

OK, let it go, Thojo. Yeah, so people are sloppy. What the hell? This is what I'm telling myself, but to no avail. This is on my mind, like a cat that's gotten into your afro and is scratching you, but you can't get it to come off - you know the feeling, don't you? No? Never had a cat in your afro?

Coming up next - exclamation marks!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home