Friday, June 17, 2005

Sepia Mutiny

Oh, Yeah. This is it!

I think I've just found a cool hangout on the net.

I care about the same stuff that these people (the whole SM crowd) do and I laugh at their jokes and am bothered by the same things. Since the Friends-or-Foes question has been conclusively answered, here's the link.

Sepia Mutiny

Speaking of sepia, this happened no less than 3 times in the last 2 months - after i've just met someone (non-south asian descent) and they come to know that I'm an engineer or a mathematician (whichever I chose to say), they'd say something like "I thought so" or "You look like one". Meaning what? I have a drafter or a slide rule sticking out of my neck? Of course, 5 years ago, I decided to not be offended if anyone automatically thought I'm a vegetarian. I was going through a year and a half of vegetarianism then, but somehow everyone already knew since I'm from India, which, as we all know, is entirely vegetarian.

And you know what? just ignore my last rant about transparencies. Go create all the trash you want...

3 Comments:

Blogger maisnon said...

What I find weird is being asked if my parents are doctors. (They aren't - well Dad is a PhD, but I'm sure that's NOT what they meant.)

I know the Indian doctor is a stereotype, but so is Apu/Quickie-Mart, cab driver, and news-stand guy.

Sun Jun 19, 11:02:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Pardesi Gori said...

Why the hell do I keep getting banned at SM?

I don't get it.

Other commenters can practically slur insults at each other freely and I get banned just for what? Making anecdotal comments and observing social situations?

Sun Sep 24, 04:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kurma said...

Actually I'm not sure. I haven't found a single ban-worthy comment from you there yet. (or they'd already been banned, maybe? or maybe I haven't read so much).

It is true that a lot of the stuff you say would be considered OK if someone else said it. I've pointed this out on SM. People do seem more irritated and ready to pounce when they see your name. So it all seems unfair. I actually very much like reading about your perspective and have mentioned that on SM too. You comments here have also been great.

Perhaps people don't like the fact that you post anonymously? Maybe they've been offended by you earlier and now the memories are just awoken? I don't know because I was off SM for several months. I remember someone also saying your name is offensive, although I don't remember what that person's argument was. I think a lot of people think you're playing games and wasting their time. For instance, you mentioned to someone that you're black while telling everyone that you're white. There's also the allegation that you are pretending to not understand stuff. I think people really don't want discussion on SM to degenerate into shouting matches like on Sulekha. Perhaps that's why they're overreacting? I don't know, it's a little beyond me.

I can see that there's some stuff in what you write for people to take offense from. But that doesn't make it ban-worthy. They can just point out your error or offend back or whatever. What do you mean "keep getting banned"? Has it happened many times?

I'm absolutely sure of one thing - if you'd come to that meetup you would have been received very well. It would have gone a long way towards clearing the air online as well. The full anonymity really seems to bug people. Perhaps starting with a new name and providing an email address/website where you have invested some time (i.e. it would hurt if people trashed it) would dispel the notion that you are simply sniping from safety.

Tue Sep 26, 06:38:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home