Sunday, July 24, 2005

Largest City in the World

Recently, Mumbai (Bombay) became the Largest City in the World

Interesting conversation:

Me: Bombay is the largest city in the world
Not me: (Look of surprise followed by) Oh, you mean by population

I bet that explanation was not necessary all these years while it was some Western city at the top.

As an aside, the largest urban conglomerates (as opposed to within the city limits) are Tokyo, NYC, Mexico City, followed by Mumbai and Sao Paulo.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

At first cdnt believe if Mumbai was really so big...!!

But then I guess conidering the far off extensions...it really is big...!!

Sun Jul 24, 10:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kurma said...

Yeah, neither could I.

I wonder how exactly they define "city" since one could draw a line wherever one wants. I would guess it has to be one administrative unit, with one mayor, one water and electricity system

Tue Jul 26, 03:07:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home