Monday, July 04, 2005

Live Strong!

Can't help admiring the Lance Armstrong foundation and their efforts towards fighting cancer. They say one in three people are going to get cancer in their lifetime. But I suspect this is true only in the United States where this disease has extra-high incidence due to some mysterious reasons.

I went down to the local Discovery Channel shop today to pick up a few Live Strong wristbands and was told that they all flew off the shelves the moment the Tour de France 2005 started. What! It's the Tour again already! Yeah, I know, that's what I thought too, but here it is...

Yesterday, M and I hiked up Cathedral Peak . It's just 3 or 4 miles one way, but boy, is it steep! The peak is 3333 ft high (that's exactly 1 kilometre) Easily the best hike in Santa Barbara that I've done. I'd been up it (with a nightime downward descent) with Patrick, Caroline, Fred, Maria, and another Caroline. That time, we got to within 10 minutes of Arlington peak (though we didn't know it) and hiked back after dinner. But it was a different feeling to do it in the hot sun. For one, we made the summit, not only Arlington, but also Cathedral peak itself. And at the summit, in a nook under a rock, is a book inside a metal box where one can log their trip and sign. I wrote my comments and was just about to photograph the book when the battery of my camera died @:-(. The round trip took 6 hours and we made it just as it got dark. That was good, because we didn't carry an flashlights.

Anyway, in the box, someone had left one of these Live Strong wristbands. That was cool.

I'll post some pictures..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That explains the extraordinarily high occurence of LIVESTRONG bands in a certain grad student appartment , this weekend!! :-) I am wearing it as I type.

Mon Jul 18, 08:38:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home