Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thoughts on the city

New York. It's magical. It's wonderful and insane. Liberating but also confining in an obvious way. You are always in a crowd and you are always alone. No one bothers you in New York. I've seen the rudest people here, but never ever felt insulted or disrespected. It's relatively unpolluted and filthy at the same time.

Everyone rides the subway. I love the subway. In fact, it is the number two thing I love about the city. The number one thing - I love how hard everyone works (or seems to be working). No complaining, no excuses. Just working away and getting things done. Inadvertently make the economy work by trying to generate wealth for yourself. That's what everyone is trying to do. From "old money" to the most unskilled immigrant. In the crazy crowd, I'm experiencing peace like never before. It's the hardest I've ever worked and most relaxed I have been. I love the harshness of the city. It is in my nature to struggle and do my thing better. I'm thankful for not being under pressure to "not be hyper", "not take things too seriously" . I'm thankful for not being under any social pressure to be "cool/intellectual". I can meditate for hours, but I cannot for 10 minutes hang out with people who have the single-point agenda of "chilling out" and taking everything lightly. So thank you, New York suits me just fine. Actually, I'm not yet sure it is NYC or just my workplace.

Strangely, the honesty and inherent humility of this orgy of materialism is truly soothing compared to the pressure cooker of the intellectual pursuits I've seen.

I take things seriously, and if you are like me, this is the place to be, mon!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kurma!

I feel the same way about NY, though generally, I am not so thrilled about living in urban metropolises.

In NY you can loose and find yourself all at the same time!

Wed Aug 22, 09:17:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home